Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Netflix/Hulu/Prime Discussion
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 16
Game Status: Playing already
zany title: The Boss!
Since I know a lot of us use Netflix and other streaming sites, I thought we should have a thread! :sunny:

Right now, I am really pissed off! It seems that the Netflix service is DOWN today! How rude!

So, which streaming service do you pay for? What do you think about it?

I have been addicted to Netflix since February and have watched a ton of movies and shows. I especially like the selection of Brit shows, foreign movies and complete seasons of shows like Stargate SG-1.

My pet peeve with Netflix is that you cannot use a prepaid debit card to sign up. I had to purchase a 3 mth gift - strangely they accepted the prepaid card for that! :lol: I can see insisting on a credit card for the DVD service, but for streaming?

I am also annoyed that they do not have Season 1 of Game of Thrones available in streaming - you have to subscribe to the DVD membership which is an additional $7.99 on top of the $7.99 for streaming service.

A plus for Netflix is that you do get a free month trial vs 1 week for Hulu Plus.

Netflix does not have current shows streaming like Hulu Plus does. (And how ANNOYING is it that the networks are now limiting their online free streams to just a couple of episodes? Now you have to pay for it via Hulu Plus - they sucked us into streaming content really good :lol: )

I am hesitant to go to Hulu Plus because, even though you pay for the service, they still deliver ads!

I have not tried Amazon Prime yet. Has anyone?

LT's list:

Visit our Facebook Page! Be sure to like us!!

Post subject: Re: Netflix/Hulu/Prime Discussion
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:00 am 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 34
Game Status: Hosting EPIC game!
zany title: The Mad King
I have had Netflix for a couple of months now, and I LOVE it!!! Like you, LT, it does annoy me that Netflix doesn't offer HBO programs for streaming..they only do the DVD thing. It's not so much a problem for me now though, as I have HBO Go....which is AWESOME. The problem there is that you HAVE to have an HBO subscription via your cable company in order to use HBO Go. HBO Go has everything HBO offers. All of their series are available from start to finsh. They have a nice selection of movies available. They have a lot of HBO's comedy specials, and they have all of HBO's documentary and sporting events on hand as well...It's really a great service IMO.

I'm not a big fan of Hulu anymore to be honest. I do use it to catch recent episodes of certain shows that I've missed on cable....like Family Guy.

So, I like the combination of Netflix and HBO Go.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImageImage

I coexist in places you would never know existed.

:detective: :sawyer: :sawyer: :sawyer: :feb:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:15 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 33
zany title: Her?
I have all 3 actually, but I never use Amazon Prime for watching shows since they don't have anything that Netflix doesn't already have (at least that I want to watch).

I like Hulu Plus because I can catch episodes of shows that are currently airing, but I get sooooooooo sick of the commercials. Being forced to watch the same commercial over and over again isn't so much fun.

Netflix is by far my favorite. I would cancel the other two long before I ever cancelled Netflix. I too am bummed that Netflix doesn't allow access to HBO shows (I have yet to see a single episode of Game of Thrones for this reason), but they have enough other stuff that I am always entertained. Also, I only use the streaming service and do not pay for the DVDs.

I have Amazon Prime for the free 2-day shipping and the Kindle benefits. Maybe if they added HBO/Showtime shows that Netflix doesn't have access to I'd drop Netflix, but for now Netflix is my primary streaming service, seconded by Hulu.

Thank you LC and unfurl for the banners! :daezy:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:39 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Highscores: 11
Game Status: Ready to play!
Paying... to stream things....? I know it's cheaper then cable, but why pay for what you can get free? Either you'd have to be hugely afraid of viruses (stop sucking at using the internet), have a ridiculously rigid moral code (and really, it's not like these paid services aren't robbing their customers, so I don't feel bad about not using them), or you must just hate money (and if that's the case, you can just give it to me, and let me find links for you. it's a better scenario imo :P).

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:55 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Paying... to stream things....? I know it's cheaper then cable, but why pay for what you can get free? Either you'd have to be hugely afraid of viruses (stop sucking at using the internet), have a ridiculously rigid moral code (and really, it's not like these paid services aren't robbing their customers, so I don't feel bad about not using them), or you must just hate money (and if that's the case, you can just give it to me, and let me find links for you. it's a better scenario imo :P).
Meh, I don't want to take the effort to download an episode of a show at a time on my laptop when I can just plop down on the couch and watch what I want when I want. :p

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:31 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Highscores: 11
Meh, I don't want to take the effort to download an episode of a show at a time on my laptop when I can just plop down on the couch and watch what I want when I want. :p

I don't download, I stream :P As long as you don't have s*it internet, you don't have to wait (and when I want to watch it on the tv, I just use the hdmi cable, as long as the episode is good quality, which most are, it looks good). It gives you as much ability to watch what you want when you want (plus, I don't know about the other 2, but netflix has a pretty crappy selection from my understanding).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Given that there is such a huge push to clamp down on the illegal content streams/sites, let's keep our discussions here to the paid and therefore legal services ;) I understand the sentiment... but I also want to keep RM up and running - so no such links should ever be posted anywhere on RM. (I know that hasn't happened, just want to make sure it doesn't).

LT's list:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 am 
Community Mod
Community Mod

I know some people feel Netflix has a crappy selection, but I personally do not feel that way. I LOVE the selection! Also, I am someone who enjoys watching shows I've already seen again, which Netflix has allowed me to do for many beloved shows.

Yes, there are some shows I wish they'd add, but on the whole I am very pleased and rarely have a day where I think to myself, "ugh, Netflix doesn't have anything I want to watch."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I still have a ton of stuff in my Netflix queue to watch.... I just wish the HBO GoT Season 1 was offered in the streaming subscription....

LT's list:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:56 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 34
Game Status: Hosting EPIC game!
zany title: The Mad King
I think Netflix has a great selection.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImageImage

I coexist in places you would never know existed.

:detective: :sawyer: :sawyer: :sawyer: :feb:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:27 pm 
Mafioso
Mafioso

Highscores: 2
We switched to Hulu Plus. . .it seems to have more current selections.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:40 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

zany title: Still here still zany
I just signed up to Netflix, and I'm impressed, it has a shed load of children's shows for the kids.

And loads of tv shows for me... Married with children lmao!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:18 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

I have recently begun using the Amazon Instant Video portion of my Prime account more often. They have started adding seasons of shows before Netflix does which is great! They just added Season 4 of Damages which is one of my favorite TV shows. They also added Season 2 of Downton Abbey (and now I'm regretting having paid for the season on Amazon a few months back..haha).

I think Amazon's list of shows is growing, maybe even beyond what Netflix has to offer (especially with some movie selections).

But I still find myself utilizing all 3 (Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon) every week.

(If my husband wasn't obsessed with college football we could probably stop paying for cable since we don't really use it for anything else...but I love my husband and he loves his football. :ripz: )

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:29 pm 
Mafioso
Mafioso

Game Status: Three Hole Punch
zany title: whatever funny thing you want ;)
I have Netflix Streaming, because HD LOST!!! But the selection isn't that great, at least I have a Family Video nearby. I also use Hulu if I need to catch up on any TV.

but it all works out
it doesn't matter much to me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am mad at Amazon Prime... I cannot play the videos on my tablet because they require Flash and Adobe has decided not to support Android anymore. I installed an earlier version of Flash, and it won't work.... ;( So, I guess I am cancelling Prime.

LT's list:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:12 pm 
Mafioso
Mafioso

Netflix and "other" things are all we use. Diggz is a big pro-football fan, but luckily his away games are shown on Fox free TV here so yea. No cable bill for anything but the intrawebs for us. :D

I'm a superfan of netflix. I do wish that some of the stuff offered with the dvd service were offered for streaming, but still I always find something on streaming that I'll enjoy. Currently I'm on this insano Upstairs/Downstairs kick. It's been on my list of things to see since I was in college but never really had the opportunity to till now. I'm also a big fan of netflix's documentary section.

Just so you don't forget Tranq...

Bea's List: Nobody. What good comes from keeping score?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:30 am 
F.E.B
F.E.B

zany title: Still here still zany
I've just found workaholics hilarious!llsomeone needs to make a mafia game tbqh

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]