It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking For Tips on a Flash-Themed Mafia
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:00 pm 
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Game Status: Playing already
Hey guys, this is just a game I've been jotting down ideas for during my spare time. I'd love to eventually flesh it out and host it, but the game probably needs some balancing and additional plotting before I realistically submit it. For now, I hope it's at least a fun concept for you guys to read!

Quote:
Flash Mafia: Battle for the Gem Cities

The once bustling twin cities of Keystone and Central have been home to many costumed heroes and criminals alike. Chief among those vigilantes were a couple of costumed heroes who took on the mantle of "The Flash", as well as a group of blue-collar criminals who collectively referred to themselves as "The Rogues". For years, The Flash and The Rogues clashed over the backdrop of robberies, but both had an understanding and loyalty to their city. However, a new group of foes are threatening the safety of the cities, with larger and more dangerous goals in mind. To top it all off, many formerly docile citizens and Rogues have started to act out-of-character, committing increasingly more dangerous crimes. Now, someone has broken the chief rule among The Rogues, and Wally West is joined by former Flash Barry Allen, as well as a mysterious activist named the Pied Piper in his race to save Keystone and Central, the Gem Cities. Meanwhile, Captain Cold gathers a group of his closest allies to clear his name and take revenge on whoever has been making a mockery of his Rogues.

THE OLD ROGUES

Their roles are as close to a "Civilian" Option that will exist in this game. They may be thieves and robbers, but they have a code of morals. As such, their only win conditions are to eliminate the vile New Rogues and stop Gorilla Grodd's rampage. If Grodd is dead, the New Rogues are dead, and any Old Rogues survive, they win the game.

Captain Cold – He’s the strict and no-nonsense leader of The Rogues. He can use his “Cold Field” to Role Block a player each night. He has BTSC with Heat Wave. Captain Cold is all about “the score”. *secret*.

Heat Wave – A pyromaniac and one of Cold’s closest allies. He has BTSC with Captain Cold *secret*.

Mirror Master – A mercenary who has access to the Mirror Realm. He can Role Check. *secret*.

Weather Wizard – Nature’s fury in the form of a disgruntled, wand-wielding father. *secrets*.

The Trickster – The most inexperienced Rogue and a notorious prank enthusiast. Leaves a “trap” on one player during even nights. If that player is *secret*, both the *secret*.

Golden Glider – Searching for her brother every night. If she finds Captain Cold, she will gain BTSC with him and Heat Wave. She may then continue to search for other Old Rogues. She cannot be killed by the Old Rogues.

THE INDEPENDENT ROGUES

These characters wish to continue their schemes without being bothered. They will win simply by surviving until the end of the game.

Captain Boomerang – Most heroes and villains alike consider him to be a bit unpredictable. He can throw a boomerang every night. The boomerang has a fifty percent chance to *secret*. If it doesn’t, then *secret*.

Abra Kadabra – He is a stage magician who uses futuristic technology to put on the greatest show on Earth. As such, he has a bevy of powers at his disposal. Once each, he can: *secrets*.

Doctor Alchemy – *secrets*

Magenta – She is a former love interest of Wally West and has magnetic abilities. She can prevent one lynch during the game. *secret*

THE NEW ROGUES

As Central and Keystone Cities have developed over time, the villains who plague their citizens have become more and more ambitious. The New Rogues, for the most part, are concerned with spreading destruction and chaos around the twin cities. They must survive and eliminate all opposing factions to win the game.

*Secret Role* – *secrets, secrets, and more secrets*

Blacksmith – Searches to build her own group of Rogues. Every night she may search a player. If that player is a New Rogue, she will gain BTSC with them. *secrets*.

Murmur – He is an insane doctor who developed a “frenzy virus”. On even nights, Murmur will select a player. That player is silenced during the next day. *secret*.

Girder – A man transformed into pure metal. *secret*.

Tar Pit – A Rogue whose body is composed of sticky, molten tar. *secret*.

Plunder – A marksman from the Mirror Universe. He kills on even nights. *secret*.

Double Down – A compulsive gambler whose skin is covered in cursed playing cards. *secret*.

THE "ARCH-VILLAINS"

Each of these characters have been The Flash's biggest threat from time-to-time. They have unique conditions for winning that the Rogues are not aware of at this time.

Professor Zoom (*secret*) – He wants to kill the Flash family more than anything else in the world. He’ll search every night for a Flash. *secret*.

Zoom (*secret*) – He thinks he can make all the other heroes and villains “better”. Each night he will Protect one player. That player will be randomly rewarded or penalized as well. *secret*.

Gorilla Grodd (*secret*) – He wants Keystone and Central City all for himself and his gorilla empire. He is the Serial Killer *secret*.

THE DETECTIVES

Wally West and the recently resurrected Barry Allen have joined forces to track down the newest foe threatening their home cities. Using their law enforcement and forensic talents, respectively, they will win if they uncover the mystery of the Gem Cities, and if they manage to imprison the New Rogues. They may choose to imprison the Old Rogues as well, but it is not required.

Wally West – He’s the fastest man on Earth. *secret*. He imprisons (kills) on odd nights.

Pied Piper – A part-time Rogue who’s going undercover to help Wally and Barry. *secret*. He is given information every night by an informant that may be true or false. Each day, he can post a message about his findings.

Barry Allen – An intelligent forensic scientist and the first Flash. Barry Role Checks a dead player every night, also picking a letter from that player’s name. The chosen letter is solved in all secret role descriptions.

So obviously, a really rough draft right now. I wanted a game that had potential for factions; it's unusual to have a set of characters who are generally regarded as "The good guys" in their source medium to be set as Baddies in the context of the game. There's also an unusually large amount of secret role descriptions at play. Barry's role, as well as different polls throughout the game, will allow players to learn more about who they're up against and promote more discussion in the thread or in BTSC.

I'm still tweaking a couple of the roles to balance them, probably making it so their powers will only work on even or odd days. I'm not entirely married to the team-divisions as of yet, it was just my first instinct to group the more recent Rogues apart from the "classic" ones. I also have another secret role in mind for the Detective team, if it became necessary to add 1 or 2.

Please, let me know what you think and what could be improved! :)

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Looking For Tips on a Flash-Themed Mafia
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:13 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 33
zany title: Her?
I think this looks really good so far! I really like twists on the basic mafia game and not having a "classic civvie" team is cool.

The amount of secrets should make for a fun challenge for sure.

My best advice is to not have too many characters with the same abilities (which may not be an issue at all depending on what's hidden in those secrets).

Nice draft, MR! I'll definitely play this when you host. :)

Thank you LC and unfurl for the banners! :daezy:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:12 am 
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

I think this looks really good so far! I really like twists on the basic mafia game and not having a "classic civvie" team is cool.

The amount of secrets should make for a fun challenge for sure.

My best advice is to not have too many characters with the same abilities (which may not be an issue at all depending on what's hidden in those secrets).

Nice draft, MR! I'll definitely play this when you host. :)

Thanks so much! :)

Yeah, it's tough to tell with all the secrets, haha. But I tried to add appropriate counters and balances for most of the roles. I remember that my only problem during Scary Movie Mafia was that I had to leave so suddenly. I was so frustrated and felt so bad for RSM!

I want to work on a few roles and hopefully find a co-host who can help me balance the odds a bit. I think I'll start by nerfing the role checks somewhat, haha.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:12 am 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 33
zany title: Her?
Yes, cutting down on role checks is quite often a good idea. One thing I've been doing in games I've hosted is having info gaining abilities. So rather than a player simply finding out another players role, learning something like robot, human, alien (from my Futurama Mafia game), or having a tracking role, or a lie detector. So you can still have multiple info roles, but all different kinds of info.

Thank you LC and unfurl for the banners! :daezy:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:11 pm 
Wannabe Mafia
Wannabe Mafia

Yes, cutting down on role checks is quite often a good idea. One thing I've been doing in games I've hosted is having info gaining abilities. So rather than a player simply finding out another players role, learning something like robot, human, alien (from my Futurama Mafia game), or having a tracking role, or a lie detector. So you can still have multiple info roles, but all different kinds of info.

Oh, I like that idea a lot! Gaining info or activity related to the role, but not the role name itself. It would work particularly well in this game, where players could be looking to figure out the missing pieces of each roll description.

ImageImage

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]