It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ideas for Sin City mafia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:42 am 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Game Status: Ready to play!
Basin City, also known as Frank Miller's Sin City, is a 2005 crime thriller film written, produced and directed by Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez. It is a neo-noir based on Miller's graphic novel series of the same name. The film is primarily based on three of Miller's works. The Hard Goodbye: About a man who embarks on a brutal rampage in search of his one-time sweetheart's killer, killing anyone, even the police, that gets in his way of finding and killing her murderer; The Big Fat Kill: Focuses on a street war between a group of prostitutes and a group of mercenaries, the police, and the mob; and That Yellow *******: Follows an aging police officer who protects a young woman from a grotesquely disfigured serial killer.
The film stars a large ensemble cast including: Jessica Alba, Rosario Dawson, Benicio del Toro, Carla Gugino, Rutger Hauer, Jaime King, Michael Madsen, Brittany Murphy, Clive Owen, Mickey Rourke, Nick Stahl, Bruce Willis and Elijah Wood, among others.

Old Town:
Goldie/Wendy- Jaime King
Gail- Rosario Dawson
Miho- Devon somebody
Becky - traitor- Alexis Bledel
Dwight - Indy- Clive Owen

Kadie's Bar:
Hartigan- Bruce Willis
Nancy- Jessica Alba
Shellie- Brittany Murphy
Bob - traitor- Michael Madsen
Marv - Indy- Mickey Roarke

The Farm:
Senator Roark- Powers Booth
Cardinal Roark- forgot
Commissioner Liebowitz- don't know

The Mercenaries:
Manute (one-eyed man)- Michael Clark Duncan
Stuka (swastika guy)- ?
Brian (IRA guy)- ?

Serial killers:
Kevin- Frodo Baggins
Yellow *******/Roark Jr.- yellow *******

????????????????
Lucille - Carla Gugino
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

logistics I could use some help with:
Each night, the indys submit a name; if they find the other indy, or a member of the civvie group they protect, they get bts with that person. The bts with the indy can be in a chatroom. The bts with one member of their team has to be handled through pm's. The danger is that the person in their civvie group could be the traitor, so revealing who you are could be bad for the indy. The indys also get to kill on opposite nights, but if they kill someone on their team, or the other indy, the kill will not be successful.

The traitor submits a name each night in search of their mafia team. After they correctly find all 3 members, they get bts with the mafia (chatroom style).

the mafia teams also kill on opposite nights,

all abilities in the game must remain secret. there will be a list of all civvie abilities and all mafia abilities at the start, but not identifying who does what. If a traitor dies, the civvie team can then discuss with each other what it is they do, and send a message to their indy if he has found them.
Likewise, the traitor might decide to be true to their civvie team; so other than group discussion of who to kill, the mafia might also want to keep their private abilities private.

There will be alot of protections built in.

The mafias may also be allowed to search for the sk's, but not sure if they join up or work together yet. Maybe they can kill or recruit the sk's if they find them, dunno-

The sk's work on opposite nights, and on a 25%, 50%, 75%, then 100%, and no more chances after that. Then all they have to do is survive.

Tell me if you think this will work-

Post subject: Re: Ideas for Sin City mafia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:16 am 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Game Status: Playing already
mata looks fun. The one thing i think would irritate me if I were one of the people involved is having to find my partner or partners, especially that one who has to find all of their partners. I've been in those roles before and they are so frustrating. But, others may not think this is an issue with the game so remember this is just my opinion.

Oh also! Have the deadies involved in the game after they die. It's so much fun to still do something else after your dead.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

I have a long list of complaints to God , but I really dont like complaining that much, only sometimes :p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:46 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 34
Game Status: Hosting EPIC game!
zany title: The Mad King
mata looks fun. The one thing i think would irritate me if I were one of the people involved is having to find my partner or partners, especially that one who has to find all of their partners. I've been in those roles before and they are so frustrating. But, others may not think this is an issue with the game so remember this is just my opinion.

Oh also! Have the deadies involved in the game after they die. It's so much fun to still do something else after your dead.

I agree about the deadies. In retrospect, I wish I would have started my dead thread a lot sooner. I love dead stuff. It makes dying on day/night one not so bad.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImageImage

I coexist in places you would never know existed.

:detective: :sawyer: :sawyer: :sawyer: :feb:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:11 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Thanks for the questions and comments. I'll try to explain them better-

JC- yes, searching is frustrating, but if the traitor only has to guess 1 or 2 players, there is the danger of wiping out a civvie team way too early.

The traitor's role is one of the most difficult in the game. They have the choice to be a traitor, or be loyal, or to be a double agent. If the traitor wants to stay with their civvie team, they still get to search. The host will let the traitor know each day if they guessed correctly, and (for Golden)- if a member of the mafia team is nk'd, the host would also let the traitor know this.

The traitor can then tell their civ team (if they have chosen to be loyal), and keep guessing each night. When they have found all the mafia team, the traitor gets to decide if they want to join in the mafia bts group, and convince them that they want to be on their side. Traitor can then inform his/her civ team of anything the mafia discusses. Or, the traitor never has to join in the mafia bts, but can proceed to relay mafia names to their Indy, so the indy can kill them.

If the traitor chooses to side with the mafia, they can still play both sides of the fence, or simply never let on that they are the traitor. If the traitor never lets on in their civvie bts group, that they are the traitor, then the civ group would pretty much have to keep mum about alot of things, like who they are targeting, and stuff.

This is why the civvie group cannot discuss their abilities, or names, until their traitor is dead.

G- yes the civs have bts within their team, but all civs and indys win together, all mafia win together, and sk's/mystery just have to survive.

The civs do have bts, but cannot tell who they are, they know which crew they are, but not each other's names. Nor can they talk about what they individually do, until their conditions have been met.

The civvies seem to have a few protections on their side, but with the amount of killers in the game, compared to the amount of civvies, I had to even up the odds a bit.

Now, tell me again if you think any of this would be too frustrating, also the host could actually have the players who wanted the traitor role to send a private pm stating they would like that role, then the host could random between the volunteers-

For those who haven't seen this movie, I'll try and post some photos.

Oh, and I'll put my brain to the task of figuring out a dead thread. Maybe the deadies could vie for a rezz or something-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:16 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:06 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 6
Game Status: Three Hole Punch
OK so let me see if I have this right.

The game as it is in the thread plays out exactly like a normal mafia game, with everyone trying to lynch baddies and at the same time the baddies trying to stay hidden and NK civvies.

But BTSC, the civvies have limited contact, the mafia's have full contact, and the SK's/independents are looking for folks to have contact with?

Like say I get the role of Jack The Civvie, I can talk to Joe the Civvie but I can't say who I am, what my role is, or what my role does.

And there might be a traitor in these talks, so I would have to be careful about saying anything at all, really?

I dunno how balanced a game with free range civvie btsc is. Are there 2 civvie groups? Do the civvie groups only get to talk within their group and not at all ever with the other group? That might balance it out a bit. Because I can see someone in group A saying "I think DH is bad?" and then group A jumps on a DH bandwagon, he turns out to be civvie, and group A starts to maybe think that the person suggesting DH might be bad is a traitor despite that person just not knowing DH was a civvie. That might be interesting.

I think as long as you are thorough and clear about what is and isn't allowed to be talked about this could be a fun game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:09 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Highscores: 15
Game Status: Playing already
I think one thing is for sure, with restrictions on what can and can't be said in civvie btsc, you have to have a way of ensuring that it isn't used incorrectly. Access to the chat room, or even 'btsc is via PM, through the host' - some kind of method of ensuring the rules aren't broken.

Even if its a btsc thread like what Roxy & Doober did in survivor with tribe beaches.

I am a good noob shepherd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

DH- the 2 civvie groups dont have bts with each other. But the indy could eventually relay messages to the other indy, if their searching is successful- and that probably wouldnt happen til later in the game

Yeah G- the bts is there, but very limited due to the traitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:14 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Whay I'm afraid of is that even if it looked decent on paper, it might not work out well. Maybe I should do a more detailed write-up about all I mumbled up above, but other than that above, most everything still works like an ordinary mafia game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:15 pm 
Ringmaster
Ringmaster

Highscores: 1
zany title: Death From Below
You should think about making it only two baddies needing to be found for the Tratior. Or the risk the indys will have in openly talking to civvies is really low, since they will have to be looking at all living and dead players to find all three. And baddies get NKed.

Also the tratior should be able to be found by the indy even after he/she joins the baddies, IMO.

You really need to figure out what pwers you are going to use in order to balance the game. This overview you have is a really good start. But you have a lot of work to do, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:15 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 6
Game Status: Three Hole Punch
Then IMO you have to build something into the game that will make it either exceptionally hard or exceptionally risky or exceptionally dangerous for both indies to side with the civvies. A huge civvie network reliant on the two indies could make the game too clear cut.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:17 pm 
Ringmaster
Ringmaster

Highscores: 1
zany title: Death From Below
Then IMO you have to build something into the game that will make it either exceptionally hard or exceptionally risky or exceptionally dangerous for both indies to side with the civvies. A huge civvie network reliant on the two indies could make the game too clear cut.

This could be fixed with maifa powers, she needs to work them up before you have to worry about that, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:24 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Ok, thank you all, for giving me a focus. I'll work on better details, and have all the powers worked out, make a few changes and then I'll repost. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:37 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

ok, one last thing. This is just a fake scenario sort of thing. I'm the traitor, I tell my civ team "I'm the traitor, but I want to be a civ. Do you guys still want me to continue searching for the mafia team, and tell you when I get a name? " They say yes-

So I keep searching, un beknowst to them, I have racked up all 3 names but keep telling them each day that I haven't, and meanwhile I have joined up with the baddies, and I'm giving them the names of my civ teammates.

Or, I actually find the baddie team, but I never join in, and I just give those names to my civ team.

Either way, the traitor could be busted by the civs or the mafia, unless they are very good at deception.

But yeah, alot of things could matter depending on the powers that individual players have, so I'll try to flesh this out more in the next couple of days- thanks for everyone's help.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]