All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hosting
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:34 pm 
Ringmaster
Ringmaster

Highscores: 1
zany title: Death From Below
Here is where you can come to discuss Ideas on hosting. Im not an expert but I will try to help anyone that asks me any questions. Feel free to send me a PM if you dont want people to know your ideas until your game is posted.

I have 3 rules when I set out to make a game.

Balance: Make the game fair. No one wants to feel like they cant win.

Mafia: We come here to play mafia, when I make a game, I pick a subject and try to make game around it. Not make mafia around the game.

Fun: We all want to have fun. Make a game you would want to play.

I will post more hints I use when creating a game as I get the time!

Remember: hosting is not easy, and creating a fun game is not either. Players and hosts all want to have fun. So lets teach each other what we learn when we host and our games will get better be more fun for everyone! :P

Post subject: Re: Hosting
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 16
Game Status: Playing already
zany title: The Boss!
Excellent! Just what we needed, thanks Rabbit!

I will try to put some of my thoughts together and contribute to this a bit later. I definitely have learned a lot from my hosting experiences.... :D

LT's list:

Visit our Facebook Page! Be sure to like us!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:53 am 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Game Status: On Hiatus
zany title: CLECIUS!
I definitely have learned a lot from my hosting experiences.... :D

Agreed. You learn a lot each time you host. I guess there is a lot of advice you could give a first time host.

I would recommend for first time hosts to have a cohost if possible. It really helps to have that person there to bounce ideas off. And it doesn't even have to be someone who has hosted before. I found hosting with Cyndy for the first time to be the perfect match, because neither of us felt embarrassed that we didn't know everything, and it made it fun because we got to figure it out and experience it together. Whether it be a new host or an experienced one, I think they key thing here is choosing the right cohost for you. Make sure you both have the same idea on where you see the game going, and how you want it to play out.

Also, mistakes happen. I wouldn't beat yourself up if you make one. It's all in figuring out how to fix it. I have made many mistakes and had many issues, and 95% of the time the players didn't even realize (or at least most of them!) :)

RM's First Biannual Arcade Tournament

Lost Rewatch Redux - 1.12 Whatever the Case May Be
presented by fingersplints and Flyin' High

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 16
zany title: The Boss!
When I develop a game, I decide on a theme and research the characters of that theme. I try to have the abilities match the character, any BTSC connections also come from the character. I usually start with a huge list of potential roles - 47 in the current game I am writing. I then put them all in a spreadsheet with abilities in different columns. Then I start to balance the game and whittle down the roles.

You need to ensure that no team is over powered. There should always be at least 2 mafia teams. The civvies main ability is their numbers. If you have an info role, then there should be a way for the "info" to be skewed. I also like to have it so that if people pay attention and use their abilities well, then they will learn things (blocks/protects etc). I'd rather do it that way than have role checkers, tbh. The mafia need to have fun too ;)

If you have a Jailer role in your game, the person imprisoned should not languish there for days and days as they will lose interest- there should be a way out or a limitation placed on the jailer.

I really like what I call "traitor" roles. In my first full game, I had roles that interacted with the civvies while being a baddie and vice versa. In The Fey, I had an Independant role that could grant wishes when targeted - they had no choice/knowledge of who they granted wishes to. I also had a role that was a "dual" role. It started as a baddie and then became a civvie based on certain events happening.

You should try to have all your roles have some kind of ability because the player without any will be bored.

I also compile a list of "prizes" for some of the abilities instead of assigning them. Usually I have a list of 10 to 15 for use throughout the game. Prizes can be used to help re-balance a game. My favorite prize is a "bomb" :devil: I did experiment with prizes in The Fey and many of them went unused, mostly I think there were too many of them, but I did add some twists to the game using the prizes. In Soap Opera, I used a Virus and the person infected had to solve all kinds of really difficult puzzles - it was hilarious.

It is best not to have too many rezzes or lynch switches - in a small game, 1 of each or even 2. In a larger game, you can probably get away with 3 or 4 rezzes but no more than 2 lynch switches and 2 lynch saves. Townies tend to get annoyed when nobody dies in lynches ;)

Townie BTSC should be limited, but all mafia should have BTSC. I experimented a bit with this in The Fey as well.

I also had The Fates in The Fey - a group of 3 that were supposed to keep the game in balance, however, they did not use their abilities as I intended - they were saving them for themselves (lynch saves/switches) even though they could win if just one of them survived to the end (which was their incentive to "do the right thing"). I won't have that kind of role in any more games.

No matter how much work you put into your game, how well balanced it is... the players are the variable. I always have a favorite role that is a "key" element of the game, and invariably they die really quickly :lol: Players might not use their abilities as you envisioned, some might not gather info from their abilities and thus they will not add to the game as you expected.

I added a new element to The Fey as an experiment. The Oracle - someone not playing the game, with no inside information but observing. He gave thoughts and ideas to the players who got to visit with him in a secret part of the forum. That was really fun and I think it added to the game.

As for posts - I try to make them fun with running jokes from game to game, I try to add clues (without outing anyone!) and I try to use fun stuff from the players themselves in the thread. They don't always have to match the theme of the game 100%.

I have also done a few "off the cuff" games - and they were really fun! That is a game that is spur of the moment (see Christmas game 2009 as an example).

LT's list:

Visit our Facebook Page! Be sure to like us!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:16 pm 
Ringmaster
Ringmaster

zany title: Death From Below
Good stuff LT, I will write up how I design games sometime this week. Ill go over how I did Carnival if I can remember. :p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:42 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

zany title: Still here still zany
Cool thanks for this guys!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:59 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Game Status: Ready to play!
zany title: more like, theLEGENDARYlaurens
I've only hosted two games, and only one by my self, but it's great, and I hope I'll be able to host again soon! :)

the thing that I find the most dificult to do is balancing things out, I've hosted one fairly basic game so far (even though I added a backpack, I try to add something new in a game)
My next game in line is going to be very crazy, so that should be fun! :) I'm pretty sure most of the normal mafia rules won't go for this game, but I'd love to read all the tips from you crazy awesome hosting people!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:05 pm 
Mafioso
Mafioso

It is best not to have too many rezzes or lynch switches - in a small game, 1 of each or even 2. In a larger game, you can probably get away with 3 or 4 rezzes but no more than 2 lynch switches and 2 lynch saves. Townies tend to get annoyed when nobody dies in lynches ;)

I somewhat agree with this but I'd like to say that 3 or 4 is way too much. Especially since rezzes are usually used on confirmed (powerful) civvies. I would say never have more than 2 rezzes and don't allow them to be used on a lynched player.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:54 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Highscores: 2
zany title: Aware Wolf
This thread will be a very helpful resource. We each learn things with each game we host, and being able to share what we learn helps us all to have more fun both as players and hosts. We definitely overdid the rezzes, but I learned a lot from the experience.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 pm 
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Highscores: 7
zany title: Spacegoat's Cult Founder

Balance: Make the game fair. No one wants to feel like they cant win.

I think the balance part is extremly hard when is a game with one mafia

Like I seen boths sides, games where the mafia overpowers the civvies cause they have too much power

And the other side where the mafia is to weak for too many townies with to many power

imo, I like more games with 2 mafias because of the balance factor
plus when is a game with one mafia, people tend to be more blatant with their hinting to their civvie role which is annoying :p

:circles: :politegiggle:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Unfurl your black wings and wait:unfurl2:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:45 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

zany title: Master of Death
Every game should have a Typhoon role :nicenod: