PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:24 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 6
Game Status: Three Hole Punch
DharmaHelper’s Handy Shorthand Handbook:

Volume I - Mafia

Introduction:

So you’re mafia. Maybe for the first time, maybe not, but the fact remains you are playing a different game. Your goal, obviously, is to kill the townsfolk off one by one, and in most cases dismantle the other mafia, until only your team is left standing. This task sounds a whole heck of a lot easier than it is, believe me. But, luckily for you I have compiled a handbook specifically DESIGNED to aid both the experienced and the inexperienced in the way of the Mafia. If you’ve even read this far, you’re obviously interested, so I wont delay you any longer. May I present: DharmaHelper’s Handy Shorthand Handbook Volume I, Chapter I, you guessed it….

Chapter I: Day One.

Meet The Team!

So whether you’ve been mafia once, twice, or never, the most important thing you should take away from the experience is the team. You’ve got a chance to get to know people you haven’t really talked to yet, and to continue bonding with those that you have. Truly the greatest advantage a mafia team has is it’s ability to work as a cohesive organized unit. That’s all well and good, but there are some guidelines when ‘Meeting The Team” that any good mafia team will follow.

1. New Players - If there are any new players on your team, the best thing to do is introduce yourself, and get to know them as a person, not a player. New players will feel more comfortable and relaxed if they know they have friends to lean on during the game.

2. The Don - The role of “Don” is a tricky one. You are in charge of the NK, typically you will appear innocent if investigated, and you may even have a bodyguard or two up your sleeve, protecting you from being killed or lynched. All this should never go to a Don’s head if they expect to win. You are only a leader by title. Take advantage of having so many unique perspectives and intuitive minds there to help you come up with plans and strategies. You won’t regret it. That said, remember that the Don DOES have final word on what does down.

3. NO COACHING - The basic instinct of any good mafia player is that new players need to be coached, or they will screw up and you will lose. Unfortunately, most every townie can sniff someone being coached from a mile away and an even better player can tell who is doing the coaching, so you will end up killing two teammates with one stone. The best way to go about having a new player on your team is to let them fly out of the nest themselves. They will make mistakes, and your maternal instinct may kick in every now and then, but you must allow them to find their own playing style, coach free.

So you’ve met the team, now what? Day One should be about one goal for the mafia:

Establishing Yourself On Day One!

Now you might say: Dharma Helper!? What does that mean “Establishing Yourself”?. Well then I’d have to respond that Establishing Yourself is probably the most important aspect of a mafia’s game play. Day One is notorious for being a suspicion desert, devoid of logic and reason, and abound with randomizers. So the best thing to do on Day One is to focus on YOU. How are you going to present yourself to the town? Establish a personality early in the game, ND IT ISEASIER FOR YOU TO BLEND. People think you are funny, and you contribute a unique life to the thread that they would miss if you were gone, so they keep you around. Don’t interpret this as a game long strategy, mind you, I’ll get into post-day-one game play a little later on. But for now, simply enjoying yourself should be enough to get you out of the desert and into the frying pan.

Voting On Day One

This is crucial, because a lot of players have an idea of how to interpret mafia voting on Day One. You hear the “distancing” argument a lot. That is, a player will vote for their team mate Day One to distance themselves later in the game. This strategy sucks. You end up once again showing your hand way to early, and the townies will find you out quicker than you can type a defense post blindfolded. Every vote matters, even on Day One. The best way to vote is how you’d vote normally. If you’d use a randomizer, great, do that. If you genuinely see something suspicious, vote for that. But DO NOT vote for a team mate because you want to use the distancing technique. I will go into more detail about these cliché’s and how to avoid them later.

Chapter II: Night I

Night One is important because it sets the foundation for how your team is going to operate fir the rest of the game. You have a big decision ahead of you, who to kill first. I cannot tell you who to pick, that is up to you. What I can do is suggest some strategies.

Quiet Players - Nobody likes a quiet player, and more importantly, nobody will miss one, either

Vocal Players - Loud players tend to take charge. If you cut the head off the snake early, it might open up a window for your team

New Players - Easy to kill, hard to trace back to a team

Experienced Players - See “Vocal Players”

Random Player - If you don’t know why you did it, they won’t either!

And countless other rationale for killing someone. But whatever you do, make sure you are consistent from here on out. Once you find your rhythm, stick to it.

Chapter III: Using the Game

It’s no secret. Every game you play is going to have a theme on which the roles and posts and events are based. Every game is also going to have very Unique mechanics. It is learning to use these mechanics to your advantage that will ensure your success as a mafia. Below are some personal examples, just to make sure you know what I mean

Judge Judy mafia, players who got arrested could not be voted for in the poll, but were essentially still in the game, since they could be released. Our team had won a ‘get out of jail free’ pass, and our Don had selflessly bamboozled the town for a whole day with some really crazy antics. I intentionally got myself arrested, so the town was missing its top two suspects for a whole lynch.

The lynch was basically controlled by a jury. So as the mafia, we decided to control the jury. We had a role that could find jury members and act as their foreman, and we managed to find or kill most of the jury itself, putting us in a position to control both the day and night actions.

Unfortunately, we had a spy in our midst and our plan was foiled. But you get the idea. Exploiting the game mechanics is absolutely necessary.

Chapter IV: Suspicions

How does one who KNOWS the good and bad players, come up with believable suspicions. Fortunately, most games have two mafia and a serial killer. So all you need to do to blend in is put yourself in the mindset that the opposing team and the serial killer need to be found, because they do. I like to call this The Townie State of Mind. If you think of yourself as a townie in this way, and the enemy teams as the mafia, you will have logical suspicions that you did not have to fabricate. This makes you look, act, and sound like a townie to the others.

Only a Sith Deals in Absolutes.

Being vague is part of what makes a good mafia player successful. If you know an innocent townie is about to go down, either because you set it up or for some other reason, being vague about your thoughts on them is essential to saving face after the lynch post goes up. Using words like “unsure” and “sometimes” give you what’s called plausible deniability. The first people to go after a townie (particularly an important one) is lynched are the people that drove it home the strongest. Subtly is key when setting up a townie.

The Fix is In

If I haven’t said it already, be subtle when setting up a townie. But more than that, be reasonable. Most townies will make themselves look suspicious at one point or another, but you are going to need a strong case if you want the votes to go your way. So go back through the thread and cite incriminating posts, ask questions, do what you can to paint the townie in a bad light. Just make sure you’ve prepared yourself for the backlash that comes once they’ve been lynched.

No Honor Among Thieves

Every once in a while you’ll strike oil and come across a genuine enemy baddie. This is good. Do not hold back when dealing with someone you believe to be a baddie on the other team. Your aggressiveness will convince others, as well as increase your townie image.

Chapter V: The Do’s and Don’ts

Everyone has a lot of preconceived notions about how to go about being a mafia. This also means that everyone has preconceived notions about how to go about finding a mafia. To avoid being easily discovered, and to increase your chances of surviving in the game, take a look at some of these important tips.

Team Comes First

Don’t be selfish, and do not be compassionate. If you or your team mate has been discovered, and is on the way out, the best thing to do is nothing. You’ll only make the situation worse by defending a dead man. If you are the one getting the votes, taking one for the team is the best option. Your team can win without you, and that is a cold hard fact.

On the OTHER hand, if it is possible to escape without too much obvious backlash, please do. The “team first” philosophy is two sided in this way. If you can manage a save, manage a save. But if not, do not be afraid to get down and dirty and sacrifice a member of the team.

Staging Fights

Don’t do it. Fights that AREN’T staged look staged, and fights that ARE staged look like the script of a B movie. Strategies aside though, fighting in general carries a very negative result. Keep the thread friendly as much as possible.

Your Style and You

Keep your style of game play as linear as possible. Do not be afraid to post. You will make mistakes, and sound suspicious, but if you remember to keep the Townie State of Mind, you will do fine. Change your style however, and most players will pick up on it.

Dealing with Team Mates In The Thread

I tend to ignore my team mates in the thread. It keeps me in the Townie State of Mind if I’m only thinking about myself. I leave all the BTSC stuff in BTSC. But this strategy might not work for you. You might want to engage your team mates in discussion, and even toss a suspicion out there every now and then. If you do, here are some things to remember:

Only a Sith Deals In Absolutes

Again, be vague. You don’t want to make too good a case against your team mate. On the same token, you don’t want to make it look like you are just tossing a name out there for the hell of it.

This Ain’t No Election

Giving your team mate a vote is never a good thing. If you are the only vote for them you look suspicious. If you are the third to vote for them you may have inadvertently stepped aboard the lynch train. So if at all possible, avoid voting for your team mates.

Group Hug?

Do not group vote. Group voting is easy to spot, and dangerous. If you need the votes to get rid of a townie who you know is a threat, one of your team mates should start a case, and wait to see if it catches on. Then you should pepper in the votes until you have what you need. If this means everyone on your team votes for that person, that is the way it has to be. Ideally, though, you can start a vote on someone without having to go this far.

The Living Dead
Ressurected townies seem to be some sort of Night Kill kryptonite. As a baddie, you should reliaze that there is now way you can lynch a confirmed townie, so the best and ONLY thing you can do is try to night kill them. Sure, there may be a protector out there protecting them. Chances are the protector in the game cannot pick the same person twice though, so you'll get your man eventually. Until then, use the Day to lynch innocent townies and the night to relentlessly persue the Living Dead.

That’s all for Volume One. If I missed anything, or you have a question, please let me know. I will add my thoughts onto this Volume. Volume Two: Townies will be written later. Writing a Townie-Guide is probably going to be a lot harder than a mafia one.

Reader Requested:

Don't Scrub Too Hard!

So you've just witnessed a townie lynching. Good news right? Only if you can manage to hold it together long enough not to tip your hand! Responding to a townie lynch is a complicated art, and one that takes many games to master. Fortunately for you, (and thanks to reader and dear friend UNFURL!) I've decided to make the process a bit easier by going over some KEY details!

1. Don't over react. Most people have read hundreds of lynch posts in their mafia career, and lets be honest folks, we all know the drill by now. Vote. Wait. Elaborate Post. Scroll Down. Big Text, Townie died. A reasonable reaction to such a commonplace circumstance is not "ZOMG RIP DHARMAHELPER :puppy: :puppy: :puppy: ". Most people get by with a simple "RIP" or "Bummer".

2. Dont under react. A townie is a townie, no matter how small. If you dont show any emotion after a townie bites the dust, if you refuse to toss a "RIP" into the thread, if you show any kind of smugness towards the victory your team just had, you WILL be found out. Give a hoot, dont pollute.

3. Lynching the Cop - Replace "Cop" with "Generic, Superpowered townie and or super vocal thread leader!" and this tip still works. Lynching someone of importance is a huge blow to the town, and a huge win for the mafia. Curb your enthusiasm, however, as being even impartial towards this event will get you lynched next.

4. Stick to your guns! If you mess up, and dig yourself a hole, the worse thing to do is backtrack completely. Townies make mistakes, go after the wrong people, and even end up getting some really strong townies lynched themselves. As long as you arent overtly responsible for a huge townie loss, you wont have to say "Hey, I wasn't overtly responsible."

Post subject: Re: DharmaHelper’s Handy Shorthand Handbook
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:59 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Highscores: 1
zany title: Master of Death
I'm looking forward to Chapter III - How to spot a baddie DharmaHelper :PP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:11 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

:shifty:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:47 pm 
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Game Status: On Vacation
zany title: Searching for my own universe
This is good! I need some advice on Townies. How soon??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:49 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Unsure. But soon :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:12 am 
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Highscores: 7
zany title: Spacegoat's Cult Founder
:reading: That was intersting Dharma

I think you should add something about "washing blood from your hands" like a lot people who are baddie tend to go overboard with the regret of lynching a townie and they end up trying to hard to take off the stain from their hand :politegiggle: , or playing the "guilt trip" ??? like a lot people try to use that, but most of the time it looks worse for them

ImageImage
ImageImage

Unfurl your black wings and wait:unfurl2:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:54 am 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Good point unfurl! I will add something along those lines. Thanks :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:52 am 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Highscores: 39
This is good! I need some advice on Townies. How soon??

That was a funny read. But I need this section too seeing as i've only been a townie what like, once ever? :P

ImageImage
ImageImage

I threw tantrums about my siggy, but :LT2: :wub: :ripz:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:13 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 23
Game Status: On Hiatus
zany title: Queen B

That was a funny read. But I need this section too seeing as i've only been a townie what like, once ever? :P

i will remember this :nod:

nice job DH :thumbup:

Click here for RM Facebook page
Check out the RM Wiki Page HERE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:12 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Highscores: 39

i will remember this :nod:

nice job DH :thumbup:

Ya good pls remember cause it will mean next time I will be townie!! ;)

ImageImage
ImageImage

I threw tantrums about my siggy, but :LT2: :wub: :ripz:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:21 am 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Game Status: Ready to play!
I've only been a mafia once, and I wasn't very good at it. I think I'm worse at being a townie, so I'm looking forward to reading part2.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:12 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Updated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:19 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Game Status: On Hiatus