Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: IRC Fiasco Game
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 6
Game Status: Three Hole Punch
Hello RM!

I am interested in running a weekly game of the tabletop role playing game "Fiasco" over IRC. Fiasco is a game where the players play the roles of people with high ambition and low impulse control, and the goal of the game is to tell a story that is destined for a tragic end. For better understanding of the game here are some helpful links:

Official Site - http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/games/fiasco/

Wil Wheaton's "Tabletop" Fiasco Episode - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuJizhyf-y4 This is the set up video, there are 2 actual "gameplay" videos as well.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXJxQ0NbFtk
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj7NcdDh-WM

Essentially, anywhere from 3 to 5 players play the role of people in a given scenario. The story is fleshed out using Relationships, Objects, Needs, and Locations to tell a narrative. There are tons of different "playbooks" that put the game in a different setting from 1930's New York to 16th Century England, etc.

Dice are used to roll for Relationships, Needs, Objects, etc as well as handed out to resolve "scenes" between players.

There are 5 phases of the game

1. Set Up - Basically, "Character Creation". The characters, location, and story are all established by rolling a big pool of dice and matching the numbers to their corresponding values on sheets.
2. Act I - Players Act out scenes to try and accomplish their characters Needs, And are awarded dice based on the scene (Black/Red dice for a bad outcome to the scene, White for good) They then hand the dice off to someone else for later.
3. Tilt - After Act 1, the people with the most dice (of any color) roll to determine the "tilt" or the part in the narrative when things all go to hell. Plans are ruined, s*it hits the fan.
4. Act II - The final act, players act out scenes again, this time keeping the dice they are awarded.
5. Aftermath - What happens after the narrative is resolved. Played out based on dice awarded in Act II, montage-style.

I probably described that horribly, so watch the TableTop episode, and read the official site for a better idea of how it's played..

But I'd be looking for a maximum of five players, if we get more interest anyone who is "extra" can come and help write the story by offering suggestions and awarding dice in the scenes between players. I don't know what time I'd want to host a game, maybe Saturday's at 7:30pm EST or Fridays after Jeopardy? Open to vote.

Anyway I've pretty much rambled on and I'm done, so if anyone has any questions post them here, comments as well, and let me know if this is something you guys want to do.

Post subject: Re: IRC Fiasco Game
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:58 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Highscores: 2
Game Status: Playing already
zany title: Aware Wolf
This sounds really fun~ I will check out the links, but yeah, i will do this for sure :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Schweet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:18 am 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Alright so from talking to people on IRC there seems to be some interest in this. To whet your appetites even more, I have a couple things:

Firstly, I won't be hosting this this week, as Dr. Who, Game of Thrones, etc make it pretty unlikely I'll be around. So I'm shooting for next week some time, or two weeks from now at some time. Again, if anyone has any idea what day/time would work best, let me know.

And on that note, here is my idea for a schedule:

First Session: Set up phase. Set up our characters and discuss where the story might go based on Needs/Location/Objects etc. This might take anywhere from 30-45 minutes or an hour if we get really into discussing. I want to do set-up seperate from the game for two main reasons

1. Gives us more time to discuss and flesh out the characters, as well as more time the next session to actually play out the story.
2. I can post our set-up results here, hopefully getting more interest in the actual game.

Second Session: Probably a week after the first session we can run the actual game. During the in-between time, I'll be able to answer any questions etc.

I'll post our results in a little story thingy, and then we can vote on the playbook you guys want to use next.

--------------------

Now the good stuff! In trying to experiment with how to play over IRC, I ran a sort of simulation-game with 5 players. I did the set up phase, and instead of talking to myself to act out the scenes, I just went through the motions of giving each player 2 scenes per act, and awarded dice randomly. For the Tilt (the bit before Act II where s*it gets real) Here is how it's done IRL:

1. During Act 1 dice are given out. You get a white dice if your scene goes your way, and a red dice if it doesn't. You then hand that dice to SOMEONE ELSE. For example, say it's my scene. As I'm describing the scene, someone would pass me a red dice, letting me know the scene ends poorly for my character. Then I would give that dice to someone else.

2. At the End of Act 1, everyone rolls the dice they were given. The highest total of one color is subtracted from the other color to give a total (For example, if I roll 2 Red dice, and 3 white dice, and I roll two threes on Red totalling 6, and a 1, 2, and 1 on White totalling 4, then 6-4= 2 Red left over) There is a sheet in front of everyone called the Tilt, and the player with the highest white total and highest red total each pick an element from that table to add to the story. They do this by rolling the dice that WEREN'T handed out in Act 1 and matching two numbers to two elements on the chart.

Seeings as I don't think it's fair to as you guys to pay 12 bucks for the PDF charts and stuff unless you want to, Here is how we're going to do it:

1. Everybody "rolls" the dice they were given. This will be easy once you get on IRC and see LT has set up a nice dice rolling bot for us. For example if Typh ends up with 2 Red and 2 White dice, he would roll 4 times, and we would treat the first two numbers as red, and the last two numbers as white, or something.
2. Highest white/red will be picked to choose the tilt.
3. I will keep track of the dice that are/aren't assigned, so I will roll a big pool of dice to give you an idea of what categories you can pick from.
4. I will say in the IRC which categories you can pick from based on the dice roll. For example if you pick a 4 and 1, category 4 is "Guilt" and within that option 2 is "Betrayed by friends". I'll tell you what categories you have and what subcategories are in there, but not all at once as it would spam the chat.

Same thing with aftermath, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

NEXT POST: What happened in my simulated game?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:42 am 
Community Mod
Community Mod

I ran a simulated game with 5 players, here is the details of the set up.

The Players:
1. John
2. James
3. Jack
4. Kate
5. Claire

The Setup:
I rolled 20 dice to start, 4 for each player, 2 white and 2 red. The results of those rolls were used to define Needs, Relationships, Objects, and Locations that would be important, nay pivotal in the story to come! To assign these things, I started with Jack, and went around the "table" making sure each player assigned one element of the story at a time. For example, the first thing Jack did was assign himself a Need. So I looked at the "Need" table and picked "To Get Respect". Since "To Get Respect" was category 4, I needed a dice with a 4 on it, so I found one and took it out of the pile, marking (W4) for white four next to Jack's "Need". This went on for a bit as I fleshed out everyone's needs and relationships, and I fleshed out a location and object as well. At the end this is what I came up with:

1. John and James have a relationship of being friends, with one being a manipulator, and the other being a victim. John and Claire have a romantic relationship, with one having a lifelong crush on the other. John's Need was to get respect, and I defined that by saying he needed to get respect from his lover by taking the fall.

2. In addition to his relationship with John, James has a relationship with Jack. It is a Work relationship, that I defined as 'former co-workers'. Jame's Need was To Get Rich, Through Robbing a Business.

3. Jack also has a relationship with Kate. They're family, although I didn't flesh out what kind of family in the set up stage. Jack's need was to get even with the bad people who think they are so tough.

4. Kate has another family relationship with Claire. I decided to make them cousins. Kate's need was To Get Respect, from this town by proving your convictions.

5. See Claire's relationships above. Her need was To Get Out of this town before they realize you took it.

The location I rolled was "Mainstreet" which I further defined as "El Perro Alto Mexican Restaurant"

The Object I rolled was "Sentimental" which I defined as "War Memoribilia"

Rolling all that is fine and dandy, but I needed a story to tell as well. All the pieces were there, and I even started to see things take shape as I was assigning these things. I got a pretty good idea that I wanted Claire and John to be a Bonnie and Clyde type of couple after I fully defined John's need to be "to get respect from your lover by taking the fall", for example. And when I realized the sort of tragic-antihero that John had been destined to become the moment I assigned that dice, the rest of the story began to click. I asked myself questions like "What is John taking the fall for? Why are they doing this? How do they think they can get away with it?" etc. And I asked very similar questions regarding Jack and Kate and James. "How is James/John being manipulated? To what end? Who are the 'bad guys' Jack is trying to get even with? Why is Kate trying to stick it to a whole town?" etc. Gears turned, pieces fell into place, and I had my story. What story is that you ask?

NEXT POST: The Tragedy of John

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:07 pm 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Our story is set in the small town of Dharmaville Kentucky, population 12,500. Jack Shepherd is the owner of Dharmaville's least successful business, the family-owned El Perro Alto Mexican Restaurant. His daughter Kate has helped him run the restaurant for the past five years, though the two have barely managed to keep the lights on. On top of that, a big corporation is attempting to buy out the restaurant, but Kate and Jack refuse to sell part of their family's heritage to some big-wig city slickers. Jack's niece, and Kate's cousin, Claire, is a bit of a wild child. Since the death of her mother, Claire has been mixing with the wrong crowd, drinking, partying, and refusing to help with managing the restaurant. She's recently gotten together with John after he returned to his hometown of Dharmaville and declared his love for her. In the middle of all this is James, a hard working young man with big city dreams that finds himself down on his luck. John and James grew up together, and were, in James' view, good friends. Though in reality John often treated James like a big brother would treat his little brother, teasing and bullying him despite James' admiration for John.

Claire and John have a plan: They're going to rob Claire's uncle Jack blind, stealing the very valuable war memorabilia he keeps in a display case in the restaurant's dining hall. Claire thinks John will take the money they get from pawning their ill-gotten goods and take her far away from Dharmaville, to the big city, and John thinks this will make Claire happy, thereby making her love him as much as he loves her. Originally, the duo plan to convince James to help them rob the place, since Jack won't trust his party animal niece with anything to do with the restaurant. James was recently laid off from his position at the restaurant as a waiter. Jack and Kate tried to explain to James that they simply could not afford to keep him on staff, but James wouldn't hear it. Kate only wants to show the town of Dharmaville that her family is not a bunch of sell outs and losers, and to somehow reinvigorate the restaurant. Jack has had it up to here with the corporation offering to buy his family's history and is desperate to think of some way to get them off his back, and to teach them a lesson.

Now this is obviously only a taste of the potential story developed by that simulation game. During a real game, everyone would get two scenes per Act (starting with Jack's first scene for example, moving in a line until everyone has completed 2 scenes)

Some ideas for scenes based on this example game might be:

John and Claire plotting how to get James to help them into the restaurant.

Jack and Kate arguing over bills, and the corporation trying to buy out the restaurant

Claire and Kate talking about John's influence over Claire

Jack and James talking about James being fired

As I said, I envisioned this as John being a tragic-antihero, so an example of an arc for John's character might be

Through interactions with Claire, Kate, James, etc, John slowly starts to realize he's a bit of a bully and a loser, and Claire doesn't necessarily respect him as a person. So in an effort to atone for his treating James badly, and to try and get Claire (who by the way is a total b*tc* and just wants the money to get out and go party in the big city) to respect him, he tosses her the war memorabilia at the last minute and lets her get away as he is swarmed by cops.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]