Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Shave For The Brave [READ]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:55 am 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 6
Game Status: Three Hole Punch
LoRab asked me to post this:

Hey, y'all!! I've been playing here for a while now, and have been playing with some of you even longer, and have come to think of this as one of my communities. And as part of my community, I want to share with you

Some of you already know about Superman Sam, the 8 year old son of dear friends of mine who died last week of leukemia, after a struggle of about a year and a half. I mentioned it in the LOST game and I'm friends with some of you on facebook--I've really appreciated the messages of support I've gotten from so many of you. If you don't know about his story, you can read more here: http://www.supermansamuel.blogspot.com (grab tissues before you start reading).

Since Sam's illness, I've come to learn a lot about childhood cancer. That 7 kids in the US die every day from cancer or complications from treatment. That only 4% of federal funds for cancer research go towards childhood cancers. That the treatments for childhood cancer are dangerous and outdated and designed for adults. That so much more research is needed to find treatment, much less a cure.

Because of that, and in support of my friends and colleagues and Sam, I'm joining with dozens of other rabbis to become #36rabbis Who Shave for the Brave. To raise awareness and funds, we will be shaving our heads on March 31. In the meantime, we are raising money for St Baldricks, an organization that directly funds childhood cancer research, to help fill the funding gap. It is our hope that fewer kids will have to die--that fewer families will have to suffer like our friends have suffered.

I would love your support--emotionally and financially. This is your chance to be a superhero--because who doesn't want to be a superhero?

Promise not to laugh at bald me too much (I promise to post pics). And I really hope you'll consider donating. My fundraising page is here: http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants ... 60938/2014

No donation is too small--and the small donations really add up. Our collective current goal is $360,000--we hope to go beyond that by March. My personal goal is $5,000 and I'm just over half way there. And most of those donations have been small ones.

I hope that you'll help me--help us--help the kids and families who are and who will be affected by childhood cancers.

Thanks!

love and mafia,
lorab

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]