All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mass Effect
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:59 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Highscores: 11
Game Status: Ready to play!
If you haven't played it, you should. All three are available on PC and 360, I think only the second and third are on PS3. I haven't played the first (I got the second for free when I bought DA2), but I think I'll be buying it soon. It's a shooter/rpg, which isn't really something I'm a huge fan of in general (borderlands was pretty blah after playing a little bit), but if you like either or both, then you'd probably enjoy it (think Gears meets Skyrim meets Halo).

Anyways, anyone else beaten 3 yet, and if so, thoughts on the ending? I didn't think it was terrible, wasn't great either, but the reactions I've read have all been really negative.

Post subject: Re: Mass Effect
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:03 am 
Mafioso
Mafioso

Highscores: 10
Game Status: Playing already
zany title: Prickly player.
I don't get much time on my PS3, so I only just started it. Hopefully I get to finish the game sometime. Mass Effect is my favourite shooter series.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:28 am 
Mafioso
Mafioso

Highscores: 1
zany title: The drunk
The ending could have been so much better tbh, i did one ending reloaded the last 5 minutes and did the second and that was disappointing. I started playing the first one again and its horrible compared to how 2 and 3 play haha

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:28 pm 
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Highscores: 6
The game overall was fantastic. I really loved the Rannoch (sp?) and Tuchunka missions.

The ending was revolting on so many levels. It broke the game both thematically and mechanically. Honestly it felt like a complete betrayal. I could write a thesis paper on how much it failed as a conclusion to the greatest Sci-Fi epic in recent memory. I was seriously depressed for about a week an a half after playing through the ending. It wasn't made any better by the insulting response that Bioware/EA gave to the fans. For me Bioware and EA are dead.

/rant.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:20 am 
Mafioso
Mafioso

Highscores: 10
zany title: Prickly player.
The ending wasn't bad at all imho.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:04 pm 
Mafioso
Mafioso

Game Status: Too Busy
zany title: Just some guy
Anybody get the extended cut DLC that was released today? I never actually completed the game because of how bad the ending is, but now I'm going to see whether the extra scenes, dialogue, etc. really does redeem it. They say you should start just before the
Spoiler:
attack on the Illusive Man's base
to get the full experience, but on the only save I had before that I still need to wrap up a load of side quests. Typical...

I did love all the little character moments throughout the game, it's just a shame they couldn't finish it very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:39 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Anybody get the extended cut DLC that was released today? I never actually completed the game because of how bad the ending is, but now I'm going to see whether the extra scenes, dialogue, etc. really does redeem it. They say you should start just before the
Spoiler:
attack on the Illusive Man's base
to get the full experience, but on the only save I had before that I still need to wrap up a load of side quests. Typical...

I did love all the little character moments throughout the game, it's just a shame they couldn't finish it very well.

Getting it now, I have it for PC, and Origin is being *u*k dumb, so this could take a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:27 pm 
Mafioso
Mafioso

I thought it was... good, I suppose. It clarifies a few things and changes bits of dialogue as well as adding some more scenes to the end and altering existing ones. I still prefer the ending I got from a fan-made epilogue generator though tbh. Hasn't totally redeemed Bioware in my mind, but overall I did enjoy it and it's definitely better than the original.

Oh, and it took forever to install on Xbox live, so you have my sympathies Boo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

I thought it was... good, I suppose. It clarifies a few things and changes bits of dialogue as well as adding some more scenes to the end and altering existing ones. I still prefer the ending I got from a fan-made epilogue generator though tbh. Hasn't totally redeemed Bioware in my mind, but overall I did enjoy it and it's definitely better than the original.

Oh, and it took forever to install on Xbox live, so you have my sympathies Boo.

I dunno, I feel like, realistically, that is what the original should have been, and probably wasn't only because of time constraints. I never had as big a hate on for the original as most people seemed to though. I don't really think it went counter to everything that came before it, because the catalyst did (originally) suggest without outright stating things, and (now) just outright says them, and I think that's what a lot of people had problems with.

In the destroy the reapers, I'm glad they made it clear that while damaged, the mass relays were not destroyed (which would of just straight up destroyed the galaxy). I think having the old guy/kid at the end was dumb (especially in the synthetic ending where it is suggested people have become immortal, or that may become possible). The control ending was okay, I suppose it's happiness level probably depends on what kind of shep you were (a paragon would use it to help everyone, but a renegade would probably end up continuing the cycle? not sure if that's what the take away was supposed to be, or if we're supposed to assume the cycle continues no matter what with that option). The refusal was a nice addition to.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:53 am 
Mafioso
Mafioso

I dunno, I feel like, realistically, that is what the original should have been, and probably wasn't only because of time constraints. I never had as big a hate on for the original as most people seemed to though. I don't really think it went counter to everything that came before it, because the catalyst did (originally) suggest without outright stating things, and (now) just outright says them, and I think that's what a lot of people had problems with.

In the destroy the reapers, I'm glad they made it clear that while damaged, the mass relays were not destroyed (which would of just straight up destroyed the galaxy). I think having the old guy/kid at the end was dumb (especially in the synthetic ending where it is suggested people have become immortal, or that may become possible). The control ending was okay, I suppose it's happiness level probably depends on what kind of shep you were (a paragon would use it to help everyone, but a renegade would probably end up continuing the cycle? not sure if that's what the take away was supposed to be, or if we're supposed to assume the cycle continues no matter what with that option). The refusal was a nice addition to.

I agree, this is what the end should have been. I didn't so much hate the end, I was disappointed by it after such an awesome game. The thing that annoyed me was that it tried to push multiplayer on people by making it affect single player, and my internet just isn't good enough to let me play a proper online multiplayer game for very long.

I took the destroy option, always planned to (I got spoiled on the options before the game even came out) and I feel like it's the best ending despite the negative affects, which I think can all be fixed anyway. I think the refusal ending actually implies that destroying is the best way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:03 pm 
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

I am still bitter and angry about the whole thing. I will never buy another Bioware/EA product again. EA is a cancer and it is killing the industry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:50 am 
Community Mod
Community Mod

Highscores: 33
zany title: Her?
Just wanted to post to say that my husband and I both bought Mass Effect this weekend and have been having sooooooo much fun playing! He's a bit further ahead of me in the game at the moment. Can't believe I waited so long to check this series out. I'll definitely be getting Mass Effect 2 once I beat this one.

Thanks for the recommendation!! :clap:

Thank you LC and unfurl for the banners! :daezy:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:21 am 
Mafioso
Mafioso

Just reading about the film adaptation for this and it is receiving bad criticism because of the shootings that happened in that school in Connecticut as the boy "liked" the game on fb...
I am sorry but why should this game be getting the brute force of the criticism when there are much worse video games out there e.g. Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War?

Wanted to rant about it as I dont find this game quite as violent as the ones i stated above...especially GoW

(source: http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/25/warne ... ect-movie/)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 pm 
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Just reading about the film adaptation for this and it is receiving bad criticism because of the shootings that happened in that school in Connecticut as the boy "liked" the game on fb...
I am sorry but why should this game be getting the brute force of the criticism when there are much worse video games out there e.g. Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War?

Wanted to rant about it as I dont find this game quite as violent as the ones i stated above...especially GoW

Because it is an easy scapegoat, and because the media is too stupid and lazy to do any actual research. None of them have even played Mass Effect, or any of the other games they claim cause violence. As to why Mass Effect is receiving special attention from those goof balls, I don't really know. I read somewhere that they were getting all uppity because I kid dies in Mass Effect 3, and that somehow may have inspired that sick person who committed that atrocity. Total horseshit.

To be clear, video games do not cause real life violence. Video games, like movies/books/paints, are a form of art. Art imitates life, not the other way around. You mention GoW, and I agree it is a super violent and gory game. However, if you look at Gears as a form of art, all the violence and the macho, hyper glorified militarism in that game could be considered a reflection the culture that produced it.

I'm sorry if I am coming across as hostile, none of it is directed at you Dunny, but whenever I hear the argument that video games cause violence I feel the need to step in and shut that s*it down. I'm sick of video games being used as a scape goat while the real issues are completely ignored.

P.S The Mass Effect movie will suck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 pm 
Mafioso
Mafioso

Because it is an easy scapegoat, and because the media is too stupid and lazy to do any actual research. None of them have even played Mass Effect, or any of the other games they claim cause violence. As to why Mass Effect is receiving special attention from those goof balls, I don't really know. I read somewhere that they were getting all uppity because I kid dies in Mass Effect 3, and that somehow may have inspired that sick person who committed that atrocity. Total horseshit.

To be clear, video games do not cause real life violence. Video games, like movies/books/paints, are a form of art. Art imitates life, not the other way around. You mention GoW, and I agree it is a super violent and gory game. However, if you look at Gears as a form of art, all the violence and the macho, hyper glorified militarism in that game could be considered a reflection the culture that produced it.

I'm sorry if I am coming across as hostile, none of it is directed at you Dunny, but whenever I hear the argument that video games cause violence I feel the need to step in and shut that s*it down. I'm sick of video games being used as a scape goat while the real issues are completely ignored.

Never took it personally I agree with you haha, I was just using Gears as an example of much more violent then what Mass Effect is.

And it is debatable whether the movie will suck imo...depends what actors they get for it will make or break it tbh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:49 pm 
Social Moderator
Social Moderator

Never took it personally I agree with you haha, I was just using Gears as an example of much more violent then what Mass Effect is.

And it is debatable whether the movie will suck imo...depends what actors they get for it will make or break it tbh

Yeah your right. It really depends a lot on the actors they get. I'm kind of hoping to see Keith David actually playing Anderson on the big screen. I'm not sure when the movie is supposed to take place, but I just love Keith David as Anderson.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:41 pm 
F.E.B
F.E.B

Yeah your right. It really depends a lot on the actors they get. I'm kind of hoping to see Keith David actually playing Anderson on the big screen. I'm not sure when the movie is supposed to take place, but I just love Keith David as Anderson.

Pretty sure it's the first game unless they've changed it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:38 am 
Mafioso
Mafioso

Pretty sure it's the first game unless they've changed it.

They are following the plot from the first game and making the decisions to take themselves
Spoiler:
like I can see them saving the council at the end of the film instead of letting them die etc

Keith David as Anderson yes!
But I will be more upset if they dont let Seth Green play Joker!!!! and I can see them trying to get Matt Fox for Shepard

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]